Diary from Japan

UWA Home

This page contains links to articles for this project.

CIEE = CIEE, or the Council for International Educational Exchange, has a wide variety of programs to choose from, encompassing Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, Europe, and Latin America. Their prices are steeper than some other programs, but this is due to the increased care they take of their students. Meals, housing, even transportation is usually included in the price of the programs.

Go With CEA = CEA specializes in European study abroad programs, and is competitively priced. For instance, a trip to Barcelona, Spain is $5,000 dollars. On the other hand, a semester at London is $11,000. Their programs also include housing and the like, but isn’t as comprehensive as CIEE.

IIEPassport = IIEPassport is a search program for study abroad programs. You can search by country, field of study and instructional language. It includes programs from Africa to Zimbabwe. This site also has several different informational articles on studying abroad.


NSEP David L. Boren Scholarship = This scholarship is funded by the National Security Education Program. It’s goals are to promote national security through study abroad. Awards range up to $10,000 for a semester or $20,000 for an academic year. There is a service requirement of government employment.

Gilman Scholarship = This scholarship is eligible to students currently receiving a federal Pell Grant. Awards granted range up to $5,000 for a semester.

Freeman-Asia Scholarship = This scholarship is only open to students that plan to study in Asia. Awards range from $3,000 for a summer program to $7,000 for an academic year. Students must have at least one year of school left so they will have time to fulfill the service requirement, which is of the students own choosing but should be geared toward spreading information about studying abroad.

IIE = This is the home page of the Institute of International Education, and it has plenty of important information on study abroad. Unfortunately, it is a government-ran site and slightly difficult to navigate.
Lonely Planet = This site has tons of information about different countries. This is a good place to do some research on the country you are interested in. = This is a search site but it also has different articles. Try typing the name of your country and see what comes up. You’ll be surprised. I found some very good articles on etiquette on this site.
ISIC Travelmax = Run by the International Student travel confederation, this site offers several different services, but the main thing are their ISIC cards. An ISIC card proves your identity as an international student, which will allow you to get discounts at certain places. It is only eligible to those age 12 to 26.
U.S. Customs: Travel = This is the travel section for the U.S. Customs site. Again, a government site that is difficult to navigate, but if you stay in this section you should be fine. This is where you can learn about customs rules on what you take in and out of this country. The publication “Know before you go” <> is very helpful.
Travel.State.Gov = This site is the official travel site of the U.S. department of State. It has plenty of helpful articles. The most important page is the travel warnings <> page. This page contains information about trouble spots in the worlds. It tells about possible terrorist threats and countries that Americans had best avoid.
Hit Countersince 3/30/2005

Home | Diary from Japan | Alumni | Articles | Links | Contact | Photos

For problems or questions regarding this Web site contact [].
Last updated: 04/08/05.